It is interesting that it is not only Thailand lawyers who are guided by codes of ethics but clients as well. Every client of a Thailand lawyer has rights and responsibilities which they must adhere to if they want to receive the best service from a Thailand lawyer.
Let us begin with the rights of a client:
- A client of a Thailand lawyer has a right to be treated with courtesy and consideration at all times by the lawyer, other lawyers and all other personnel who may be lawyers or not in the lawyer’s office.
- As a client to a Thailand lawyer, you are entitled to the competent and diligent handling of your case with regards to the highest standards of the profession. If you feel unsatisfied with the way your case is handled, you have the right to discharge your attorney.
- A client of a Thailand lawyer has the right to the lawyer’s independent professional judgment and undivided loyalty which is uncompromised by conflicts of interest.
- A client has a right to be charged reasonable fees and expenses which the lawyer should explain beforehand and you can request for a written itemized bill.
- As a client, you are entitled to have your questions and concerns addressed promptly and receive communication in time.
- A client is also entitled to be kept informed at all times with regards to the status of the case.
- A client has a right to have their legitimate objectives respected by the Thailand lawyer.
- A client has the right to privacy for any communications with the lawyer.
- A client has the right to have their attorney conduct himself ethically according to the Thailand Lawyer’s Council Code of Ethics.
- A client has the right to receive legal aid regardless of sex, race, creed, colour, religion, age, nationality or disability.
The responsibilities of a client:
- As a client of a Thailand lawyer, you must treat the lawyer and his or her staff with courtesy and consideration.
- It is your duty as a client to inform your lawyer of all facts and circumstances of the matter being handled by the lawyer.
- It is your responsibility as the client of a Thailand lawyer to honour the fee arrangement agreed upon with the lawyer.
- It is your responsibility as a client to pay the fees and expenses when they are due.
- It is your responsibility to honour any financial commitments agreed upon with a Thailand lawyer even the client discharges the attorney-client relationship.
- It is the responsibility of a client to reply to emails and phone calls from the lawyer within a reasonable time because the lawyer still has other clients to attend to.
- The client is responsible to maintain contact with the lawyer and respond to the lawyer’s requests.
- The client should know that lawyer will not advocate or propose positions that are unprofessional.
A client of a Thailand lawyer has not just rights but also responsibilities. The ball is in the court of the lawyer as well as that of the client.